Archive | Civil Suits RSS feed for this section

Jay-Z and Kanye West Settle ‘Watch the Throne’ Copyright Lawsuit

12 Mar

Kanye West and Jay-Z have settled a federal lawsuit brought against them last year by Syl Johnson, a singer and producer who had accused the rappers of lifting one of his songs.

Last October Johnson sued, arguing that the song ‘Watch the Throne’  was infringing on his copyrighted material as West and Jay-Z hadn’t cleared the portions of his 1967 R&B hit ‘Different Strokes’ sampled in their song ‘The Joy.’

According to AOL’s The Boombox, both sides agreed to a settlement, and the suit was officially dropped.

No word yet on the specific dollar amount.

Chef Mario Batali settles lawsuit for $5 million

8 Mar

Celebrity chef Mario Batali and his business partner have agreed to pay $5.25 million to settle a lawsuit that alleged they confiscated a portion of their restaurant workers’ tips.

According to court papers filed in Manhattan federal court, the settlement may compensate as many as 1,100 waiters, captains and other staffers.

The settlement must still be approved by a judge.

The lawsuit against Batali and Joseph Bastianich was filed in 2010. It claimed their restaurants had a policy of deducting 4 to 5 percent from the tip pool at the end of each night.

Lawyers for both sides said the matter was resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.

Batali’s Manhattan restaurants include Babbo, Bar Jamon and Del Posto.

 

Source: Associated Press

 

Kardahsians Sued for $5Million After Endorsing QuickTrim Diet Pills Plaintiffs Say Don’t Work

2 Mar

Khloe kardashian bikini

The Kardashian sisters are being sued by a bunch of people in New York who claim there’s no POSSIBLE way QuickTrim could’ve helped Kim, Khloe and Kourtney lose weight … because the main ingredient is caffeine. According to the legal court documents, “The FDA has determined [caffeine] is not a safe or effective treatment for weight control.”

According to the lawsuit, filed in NY by Bursor & Fisher, the Kardashians fed lies to the public through commercials, magazines and social media since 2009 by being paid spokespersons for QuickTrim … like when Kim went on Twitter and said, “Our QuickTrim cleanse will be massive! Khloe has already lost so much weight.”

The plaintiffs claim they would NEVER have purchased the QuickTrim products if they would have known the truth … and claim the Kardashian testimonials were completely unsubstantiated.

Now, the Kardashians, QuickTrim and various companies that sold the products are being sued for more than $5 million in damages.

Read More on the lawsuit on TMZ….

AEG dropped from negligence lawsuit filed by Michael Jackson’s father

22 Feb

20120222-114716.jpg

The promoters of what was to be Michael Jackson’s 2009 comeback tour won a round in court today when a judge granted a motion to dismiss the company from a lawsuit filed by the singer’s father.

“This was a major victory,” AEG Live attorney Marvin Putnam said of Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos’ ruling.

The decision leaves Jackson’s former physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, and Applied Pharmacy Services in Las Vegas as the remaining defendants.

Joe Jackson’s attorney, Maureen Jaroscak, downplayed the significance of the ruling, saying it was only a temporary setback. She said her client is a “nominal party” in a separate case filed against AEG Live by his wife, Katherine Jackson, but that he was never served with it. Jaroscak said Joe Jackson could now file an answer to his wife’s complaint and become a party to the case.

Joe Jackson alleged AEG Live was negligent in hiring Murray. He also alleges Applied Pharmacy Services sold Murray propofol the month before the singer’s June 25, 2009, death at age 50.
Lawyers for AEG have denied any wrongdoing by their client, which organized the sold-out London concert tour for which the entertainer was preparing in Los Angeles when he died.
Murray was convicted Nov. 7 of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson’s death and sentenced to four years in prison.

Attorneys for AEG Live questioned in court papers whether 83-year-old Joe Jackson is a lawful heir to the King of Pop under the state’s wrongful death statute, noting that Joe Jackson said in interviews that his son never supported him financially.
20120222-115053.jpg

The singer was frank about his relationship with his father, the AEG Live court papers stated.
“At the time Michael Jackson died, (his father) was estranged from his son, who repeatedly and publicly accused him of physical and other abuse,” according to the AEG Live court papers.
But the lawyers said that, even if Joe Jackson could show he was an heir, he should have included his claims within the negligence case against AEG Live brought in September 2010 by Katherine Jackson two months before he filed his own case.

“The law is well-established that all plaintiffs must join together in a single wrongful death action against any given defendant,” the AEG Live court papers stated. “AEG Live will not speculate as to why (Joe Jackson) was not joined in, and did not seek to join, Mrs. Jackson’s lawsuit.”

Joe Jackson could still try and become a party to his wife’s case, the AEG Live court papers stated. If he can prove that Katherine Jackson’s lawyers improperly left him out of her case, he can ask for damages against her, according to the AEG Live court papers.

In her nine-page ruling, Palazuelos agreed with Putnam that there should be only one wrongful death action and not two.

“Allowing Joseph Jackson to continue with his subsequent suit against AEG Live, alleging the same wrongful death claims as the related case, would contravene the purpose of the one-action rule,” Palazuelos wrote. “Indeed, plaintiff’s interpretation of the one-action rule would allow the heirs of a decedent to file as many suits as there are heirs.”

The judge reiterated her position during the hearing.

“I don’t think there’s any way around this,” she said. “You can’t maintain a concurrent action.”
Palazuelos scheduled trial of Joseph Jackson’s suit for Jan. 28 next year. Palazuelos also is managing Katherine Jackson’s case, which is set for trial Sept. 10.

Katherine Jackson alleges in her suit that AEG Live is responsible for medical decisions made by Murray.

Source: LA.com

Singer, Akon Sued Over $51k Construction Bill

21 Feb

Akon, akon with white background, akon shirtlessAkon is up to his neck in $51,000 of construction bills on his Georgia mansion … and he still hasn’t paid up — this according to a new lawsuit filed by a local contracting company.

According to celebrity gossip site, TMZ, Southern Electric filed the lawsuit against Akon in Georgia Superior Court, claiming it completed over $344,000 of work on Akon’s place — electric work, framing, molding — but he refused to pay $51,941 on their final invoice.

According to the legal documents filed, Southern Electric contacted Akon’s mommy last November … not just to tattle, but because his mother was acting as his agent in the deal … but still, S.E. has not received a dime.

They’re now suing for breach of contract for the amount allegedly owed, plus interest.

FYI — Akon’s Georgia palace is a two-story four-bedroom, eight-bath model that he reportedly paid 1.65 million dollars for.

Former Manager Sues Rap Duo, New Boyz

20 Feb

New Boyz

The former managers of rap duo New Boyz say the rappers owe $100,000 for breaching a management contract.

According to EntLawDigest, Introspect Entertainment entered into a management contract with rappers New Boyz in February 2011, and under the terms of the contract, the company was required to manage the rappers until their second album was completed and promoted.

But, New Boyz allegedly tried to end the management agreement before the second album was finished, and refused to pay Introspect money it is owed.

Introspect claims it has lost $100,000 from the breach.

The company sued in Los Angeles Superior Court for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and a judgment declaring that New Boyz owes past and future commissions. Introspect is represented by Hayes Michel of Baker & Hostetler.

Source: Entlawdigest

Drake sued by alleged ex-girlfriend over ‘Marvin’s Room’ royalties

3 Feb

A woman claiming to be the ex-girlfriend of the hip-hop/R&B star says she is the person on the other end of the phone call heard on his hit “Marvin’s Room,” which was released last year.

Now Ericka Lee is suing Drake for excluding her from co-writer royalties she says she earned through their collaboration on the hit, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Lee claims in the suit that Drake agreed to work on the song and split the proceeds. She says she was supposed to record the song’s hook and an opening monologue.

But six weeks later, Drake and his record company changed their tune and instead Drake texted her offering 2% of song royalties, according to the report.

The two, by then, had split and Drake seemed angry when Lee hired a lawyer.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/drake-sued-alleged-ex-girlfriend-marvin-room-royalties-article-1.1016669#ixzz1lLKUfMY0

Whitney Houston Wins Lawsuit Against Her Step-Mom

31 Jan

R&B Superstar Whitney Houston recently claimed victory in the Federal Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, in a sometimes-ugly lawsuit against the woman who married her father.  That step-mother, Barbara Houston, had sued Whitney back in 2008.   When Whitney’s father, John, died in 2003, Whitney received one million dollars as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy.

According to Forbes Magazine, Barbara felt that money was really meant to benefit her.  Whitney had lent her father a great deal of money, some of it to buy a house that John lived in with Barbara.  When John Houston died, Barbara inherited the house.  Because of that particular loan, Whitney owned the mortgage on the house.

Barbara claimed the life insurance money was meant to repay Whitney for that mortgage.  When Whitney refused to credit the life insurance money against the mortgage, Barbara sued.

Whitney was not pleased.  She counter-sued, pointing out in a public court record that Barbara met her father while she was a “custodial care service worker” (in other words, a “maid”), cleaning his house.  Barbara was 40 years younger thanWhitney’s dad and starting dating him when he was still married to Whitney’s mother.  Whitney also brought up the fact that John and Barbara were married shortly after he divorced Whitney’s mother.

As part of this lawsuit, Whitney also sought a judgment for the mortgage to be repaid, with interest, which totaled about $1.6 million by then.

Barbara and her lawyers brought up several letters, written by various accountants.  They argued to the judge that these writings suggested the insurance policy really was meant to repay the mortgage.  The problem was that there never was a written agreement between John and Whitney Houston documenting this, and everyone from Whitney’s camp denied they had an agreement. Instead, Whitney pointed out that she lent her father lots of money, and this insurance policy meant to repay other loans, not the mortgage money.

The Judge agreed with Whitney and dismissed the lawsuit, without holding a trial, in late 2010.  Barbara filed an appeal. Late last month, the Federal Court of Appeals dismissed the appeal and upheld Whitney’s victory.  This ruling clears the way for Whitney to proceed with foreclosing on the house.

Read More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/trialandheirs/2012/01/30/whitney-houston-denies-shes-broke-wins-lawsuit-vs-step-mom/2/

Actress Pamela Anderson Ends Lawsuit with Real Estate Agent

25 Jan

Pamela Anderson has ended her war with the real estate agent who took her to court over a $22.5 million claim last year. The real estate agent claimed Pamela Anderson screwed him out of several condo sales, a claim that Pamela Anderson denied.

Real Estate Agent Laurence Hallier filed the lawsuit against the former Baywatch actress last June where he claimed Pamela Anderson agreed to promote the sale of several condominiums in the new Panorama Towers where he claimed she would also make various personal appearances but Laurence Hallier said the sexy actress failed to uphold her end of the bargain.

Laurence Hallier claimed that Pamela Anderson cost him millions in lost sales due to her not keeping to the agreement where the real estate agent agreed to give her a free condo for her services. Pamela never got the condo because of the alleged breach of agreement and in response to this; the sexy actress sued him for $1 million.

Now it looks as if both parties are ready to be civil—they might have come to an agreement where they have settled out of court but neither party is willing to confirm what the agreement is and how much the agreement is worth.

We’ve got a Situation Here: Serious Pimp Accuses ‘Jersey Shore’ Star of Walking With $25,000

24 Jan

Jersey Shore” star Michael Sorrentino, also known as “The Situation,” took $25,000 from clothing company Serious Pimp, but refused to wear the company’s clothes on the TV show under a “co-branding” agreement, Serious Pimp claims in Orange County Court.

Serious Pimp claims it gave the former fitness trainer and underwear model the right to approve a line of t-shirts, but he never gave it a thumbs-up, or down. Instead, Serious Pimp says, he walked away with $25,000 in profit advances.

The Situation, Michael Sorrentino, The situation shirtless, sitch, Mike sorrentino

Also named as defendants are Sorrentino’s agent, MPS Entertainment, and legal counsel, Bonfiglio & Asterita, both of whom were later added as beneficiaries in the contract.

“Certain misconduct by MPS and Bonfiglio during their time as beneficiaries to the agreement further caused, accelerated, encouraged and solicited The Situation to breach the agreement,” Serious Pimp (SP) claims. “This conduct included, among other things, MPS’s and Bonfiglio’s false representations to The Situation that SP was not involved in any actual development of the branded products and that SP did not have a comprehensive sales plan in place to market such branded products.”

Serious Pimp sued for breach of contract, fraud and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage. It seeks to rescind the contract and recoup its money, plus damages.

Nada Alnajafi, of Pivotal IP in Santa Monica, Calif., Vito Torchia Jr., Deron Colby and Sasan Behnood, of Brookstone Law in Newport Beach, Calif. are representing Serious Pimp.

Source: http://www.entlawdigest.com/

 

%d bloggers like this: